We scream, you scream, we all scream for sunscreen!
Take steps to protect your skin from the sun's damaging rays and free radicals.
By Nicole White
The sun may be one of the things that literally makes the world go ‘round, but it can also be one of the most damaging parts of our life. To keep your skin healthy and hydrated, it is imperative to protect it from the sun’s fierce rays. Luckily, JAFRA has a bountiful lineup of products ready to leap into action to protect your skin and help hydrate!
May 27, 2022
The number of acronyms related to skincare can sometimes be a little overwhelming, so let’s decode some of the key ingredients for this sunny conversation before we dive in!
UVB: UVB rays have slightly more energy than UVA rays. They have a short wavelength that can only reach the outer layer of your skin called the epidermis. UVB rays have been linked to skin burning.
- SPF: Sun Protection Factor. According to the FDA, SPF is a measure of how much solar energy (UV radiation) is required to produce sunburn on protected skin (i.e., in the presence of sunscreen) relative to the amount of solar energy required to produce sunburn on unprotected skin. As the SPF value increases, sunburn protection increases.
- UVA: UVA rays have a lower amount of energy and a longer wavelength than UVB rays. They can enter the middle layer of your skin called the dermis. UVA rays form 95% of the UV radiation which reaches the earth.
Within the JAFRA ROYAL family there is an amazing line of products that take advantage of the exclusive technology behind Royal Jelly RJx which increases the power of royal jelly to help skin look and act younger.
Here Comes the Sun, Little Darlin’
- Boost Cover Me Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30: This invisible, oil-free protectant glides on and dries instantly, helping to defend skin from UV rays. With its matte finish you can ditch the “sunscreen shine”! JAFRA’s Boost Cover Me Sunscreen is made for all skin types and is perfect for wear under makeup.
- JAFRA ROYAL Clear Smart Shine Control Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 25: Another amazing oil-free mattifying formula that helps to protect your skin, control shine, soothe skin, and won’t clog pores! This sunscreen is ideal for blemish-prone skin, and delivers a fresh, soothing sensation on contact. One of the added key ingredients in this formula is Black Bee Honey Ferment; this is rich in amino acids, vitamins, and minerals to help maintain a balanced microbiome and reduce excess oil.
- Revitalize Solar Protection Fluid Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: Fast-absorbing, and non-greasy! this solar protectant fluid visibly restores skin with Royal Jelly RJx while aiding in the skin’s defense against environmental aggressors like the sun, pollution, and free radicals.
- JAFRA ROYAL Defy Multi-Performance Age Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 50: Designed to protect thinning, mature skin from UV and damaging free radicals, this powerful broad-spectrum SPF 50 comes in the form of an invisible-finish lotion. With ingredients like Soybean Seed Extract, which helps to visibly smooth skin for a look that is firmer, it helps to prime skin and is ideal for wear under makeup.
- JAFRA ROYAL Men 3-in-1 Face Moisturizer: Soothe, protect, and hydrate all at once with this lightweight formula, designed as a do-it-all multitasker for men to help with the discomfort caused by shaving. This non-greasy protectant helps to defend skin from future signs of aging as well as pollution and sun damage.
In addition to JAFRA’s amazing ROYAL lineup, there is the SUN product line. Vibrantly colored with pops of tangerine, turquoise, and chartreuse, this powerful product family packs a mean punch for harmful UVA and UVB rays! The short and stout Face Protector Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ will help defend your skin against UV damage and signs of aging while it conditions with a breathable formula that absorbs quickly, delivering a refreshing burst of hydration. Next in the family is the Body Protector Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50+; it will help to keep any adventurer protected from UV rays, featuring an oil-free moisturizing formula that will leave skin feeling soft and comfortable. Th most versatile of the bunch is the Sun Spray On Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50. It is the easiest way to keep your skin protected, featuring an easy-to-use non-aerosol spray and a light tropical scent that blends easily with a non-greasy finish. Best of all, the entire JAFRA SUN line is water-resistant, and safe for everyday use for all ages from six months to adult!
Mineral, Chemical, or Vegetable?
There, of course, is no vegetable sunscreen (yet?) but you may have noticed that there are mineral and chemical – and sometimes hybrid – options in stores and online. It is important to understand the differences between the two and know which one may be best for your skin type.
Mineral sunscreen is sometimes also referred to as physical sunscreen because it literally sits on top of your skin rather than being absorbed into your skin. These sunscreens often consist of active ingredients like zinc oxide or titanium oxide which leave a white residue on the skin (picture lifeguards with white noses at the pool), and works to reflect light rays away from the skin.
Chemical sunscreen absorbs into your skin and uses active ingredients like oxybenzone, avobenzone, octocrylene, or octisalate to absorb the sun rays, turn them into heat, and then release the heat through the skin. Since the chemical sunscreens are absorbed into your skin, they tend to be lighter and more sheer. Although chemical sunscreen needs to be applied with a bit more lead time (since it needs to be absorbed into the skin prior to beginning to work), they do tend to be more sweat and water resistant.
The wonderful products the JAFRA creators have come up with are hydrating, fast-absorbing, and non-greasy!
Try Before You Buy!
As you consider which JAFRA sunscreens may work best for your skincare routine or your skin type, don’t forget that they are all available in small sample sizes! Reach out to your independent beauty consultant and ask for a recommendation and a sample, so you can get the best fit!
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible during the hottest time of day (10am-4pm).
- Always wear SPF 30+ (but it is best to use SPF 50+).
- When possible, choose makeup products that include sunscreen, but don’t rely solely on moisturizers or cosmetics with an SPF.
- Pay close attention to the “lifespan” of sunscreen and be sure to reapply when necessary.
- Only “broad spectrum” products protect from both UVA and UVB rays.